This wait occurs while a request is waiting to acquire an exclusive lock. It typically accumulates while requests are being blocked by a write transaction (implicit or explicit). When transactions are kept open for extended periods of time it can cause long delays for other requests
DBAs and Developers
- Keep transaction durations short.
- Ensure that transaction isolation levels are appropriate (avoid SERIALIZEABLE and REPEATABLE READ if possible)
- Investigate enabling the READ_COMMITTED_SNAPSHOT database setting
- Run trace/Profiler/Extended Event session in conjunction with Blocked Process Threshold to determine which queries are being blocked
- Indexing, ensure that long running queries and transactions are optimized
- Ensure that row, page and table locks are being escalated correctly. If the table is partitioned consider enabling partition escalation